Social Ministry at Christ Church
Bearing witness to God's love for the world and believing that the Gospel calls us to serve our neighbor as ourselves, Christ Church is actively engaged in an outreach of social ministry to the community around us and the world at large.
Our Social Ministry program is divided into three major areas of service--local, national and global.
Christ Church ministers to the local community by:
1. Supporting an on-site Case Manager through Lutheran Social Services who aids the poor, transient and the needy.
2. Housing and providing administrative support--as well as tutors--to the York conference tutoring program. This program, which is a cooperative effort by area Lutheran congregations, provides one-on-one tutoring to York City school children. The tutoring program is held on Monday and Tuesday nights (7-8:15 PM) from October through April.
3. Baking and cooking for Our Daily Bread soup kitchen.
4. Collecting food for the local food pantries (monthly).
5. Providing both funds and volunteers for Habitat for Humanity building projects.
6. Donating gifts as well as monies to area charitable organizations such as the Salvation Army, Lehman Center and Bell Socialization Services.
7. Our child care program.
8. Providing school and health kits.
9. Manna Bags.
10. Sale of Fair Trade items.
11. Prayer Shawl group.
1. Organizing mission trips to disaster areas. During the five trips to Biloxi, MS, skilled volunteers helped to rebuild areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.
2. Being a Bread for the World covenant congregation.
1. Supporting the Itete Hospital in our companion synod, the Konde diocese, in Tanzania.
2. Supporting the Equal Exchange Interfaith project through the sale of goods such as coffee, tea and chocolate. This self-help project allows small-scale farmers around the world to earn fair prices for their products, thus enabling them to build better futures for their families.
3. Supporting Heifer International, an organization that provides gifts of livestock to impoverished families around the world. Over time, the livestock provide the foundation that will improve a family's income and nutrition. You can visit their website at www.heifer.org
Volunteers are needed to support all these ministries. If you are interested please contact the church office.